Answers to Frequently Asked Questions or Problems
Scanner Models: OpticPro 4800P and/or FBII
Problem: Pentium II Computer locks up when the scanner software has been installed.
Windows 95 / 98
1. Disconnect the scanner and your system should no longer lock up. You must use the latest driver available for this scanner. This is available at our website. To determine if you have the latest driver, please locate the file c:\fbscaner\opticpro.386. Once located, the date of the file should be 12/12/96 or later. If not, you will need to uninstall your scanner software and reinstall using the latest driver on the Plustek USA website.
To locate the driver:
The driver is located at:
2. Step two requires that you have some working knowledge of your computer's BIOS. If you do not consider yourself to be an advanced computer user or you have never entered the computer's BIOS before, we suggest you contact your computer manufacturer for assistance with this step.
|Computer Brand||Parallel Port Settings||BIOS Setup Key|
278/ Compatible, or Bi-directional,
|Compaq||3BC-3BF, 7BC-7BE, IRQ 7, DMA 3 or
278-27F, 678-67A, IRQ 7, DMA 3
|Sony||278/ IRQ 7, Bi-directional||F3, then F2, or F1|
|Sharp Laptop 9020||378/ EPP||F2|
|Toshiba Laptop||378/ Bi-directional||Toshiba Utility|
|Packard Bell||378/ECP or Bi-directional (older models)
378/EPP (newer models)
|F1 or F2|
|Dell||378/ EPP||F1 or Del.|
|Hewlett Packard||378, IRQ 7/ EPP||F1|
|Gateway 2000||378/ EPP||F1|
|Other Systems||378/ EPP||
F1 or Del.
3. After the Parallel Port has been correctly configured, you will need to bypass Windows. As soon as you see the computer display:
Starting Windows 95....
You must quickly press the F8 key. The following Text should appear:
Microsoft Windows 95 Startup Menu
2. Logged (\Bootlog.txt)
3. Safe Mode
4. Safe Mode with network support
5. Step-by-step confirmation
6. Command prompt only
7. Safe Mode command prompt only
8. Previous Version of MS-DOS
Enter a choice:
Press 6 and then enter. The computer should boot into the DOS command prompt.
4. At the DOS prompt, please type the following:
The MS-DOS Editor should appear with the contents of the file c:\windows\system.ini.
5. Using the down arrow on your computer, bring the cursor to the section that says [386Enh]. In that section, you need to add (if they do not exist) or modify the following lines:
6. After the changes have been made, Press the Alt key then the down arrow. In the upper left corner, highlight SAVE and press ENTER. Press the Alt key again and the down arrow. This time, highlight EXIT and press enter.
7. Connect your scanner back up to the computer and restart your computer and allow your computer to boot normally.
The computer and scanner should now operate properly within Windows. Test the Keyboard and mouse to ensure that they both work properly. After you find that they both work, test the scanner by scanning an image into the computer through the Action Manager, Image In, Micrografx Photo Magic or any Twain-compliant image-editing program.
After the image has scanned into the computer, close the image and the program. Does the mouse and the keyboard still work?
If you can answer yes to both of these questions, then the situation is solved.
If this does not solve the problem, or you need assistance with this update, please feel free to contact our Technical Support department directly at for further assistance.